25 October 2011

dressmaker...

A few weeks ago I was given some vintage dress patterns by some family friends. They used to belong to their mum who was a dressmaker (I believe she helped make the Queen's wedding dress!) They gave me around 80 patterns and I thought I'd share some of my favourites as well as a few of my very own finds. 





How amazing is this Kaftan!!



 This might be my next project - I really want to make my own coat!

I tweeted a while ago about the 20 week dressmaking course I'm doing. I'm on week 4 (already) and it is brilliant. Nothing to show as yet - I'm still in the practice/muslin stage of a modern Vogue pattern (though I'd start off easy), trying to get to grips with my very not standard measurements (short and busty strikes again!). But I'll post some updates when things start to look a bit more interesting!

13 comments:

  1. My that's an impressive collection...fabulous rx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely patterns but the 'adaptable for chubbies' made me laugh! Look forward to the end results x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful. I'd get a kick out of just looking at them, let alone owning them. I think the aprons are my favourite, although that flowing kaftan is something else! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's wonderful - be so fun looking through the patterns yet alone getting to make some!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing collection! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a mighty fine collection you have there. I can't wait to see what you make!x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those pinnies, especially the cute strawberry design!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - that is quite a collection. Can't wait to see how you get on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a haul! Glad you course is going well, but man, aren't Vogue patterns expensive?!! Such a shame. I am currently sewing three cow costumes for a Halloween party on Saturday :S

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't they look good enough to frame just as they are in their packets? I would have them all over my laundry room wall. I would love to be able to sew. Fab ideas but no skill.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing... and make your own coat?? Double amazing! I really need to learn to sew properly at some point! Look forward to seeing the results of your course - bet it's fab :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. amazing!
    i love how you just casually slipped in that she made the Queens wedding dress like its no biggie....

    ReplyDelete